¾ c buckwheat groats (kasha)
4 medium white mushrooms, chopped
1½ c veggie stock (I use the kind with salt.)
3 T ground nut meal (pecan or cashew)
2 slices whole wheat or sprouted grains bread, ground into crumbs
½ tsp celery salt
Heat a skillet to medium and heat the groats in it for a min., stirring. In another pan, bring stock with chopped mushrooms to a boil. Add to groats, cover, and simmer about 10 min.
Put in food processor: groats, nut meal, celery salt, and bread crumbs. Process until well mixed. Form into balls. Put in microwavable dish. Cover. Microwave about 2 – 3 min.
Serve with gravy, over noodles.
2 c vegetable stock
½ c almond milk
¼ c oil
¼ c flour
In unheated pan mix oil and flour, stirring into a paste. Gradually add the stock and heat until it begins to bubble (simmer), stirring constantly. Stir in the almond milk and continue stirring until the gravy seems fairly thick (30 to 60 sec.) Taste and add salt or pepper if desired.
Super Easy Vegetarian Chili
Even though this vegetarian chili recipe uses canned ingredients, a generous amount of spices are simmered to give it a homemade taste. Vegetarian chili is great to serve for large groups or to bring to potlucks, and this easy chili recipe won’t disappoint.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 1 can black or pinto beans, drained
• 1 can kidney beans, drained
• 1 can diced tomatoes
• 1/2 onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1/4 cup vegetable broth
• 2 tbsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• dash cayenne pepper (optional)
• dash red pepper flakes (optional)
• 1/2 cup TVP + 1/2 cup water (optional) ( or 1 cup vegan “ground beef” substitute.)
In a medium to large soup pot, sautee the onion, bell pepper and garlic in the olive oil.
Add tomatoes, vegetable broth and chili powder and stir.
Reduce heat to medium low and add beans. Stir occasionally and cook for at least 20 minutes. Add vegan “ground meat” or TVP and water 10 minutes before done cooking. Of course, the longer you cook chili the better, but if you’re pressed for time, 20 minutes is fine.For a spicier chili, add extra cayenne and red pepper flakes. Makes 6 servings.Nutrition Facts (from Calorie Count):
One serving provides approximately:
Calories: 334, Calories from Fat: 54
Total Fat: 6.0g, 9%, Saturated Fat: 0.9g, 4%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 260mg, 11%
Total Carbohydrates: 55.4g, 18%
Dietary Fiber: 15.5g, 62%
Vitamin A 49%, Vitamin C 107%, Calcium 11%, Iron 35%, Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Bill’s Lemony Lentil Recipe
Delicious hot or cold, easy and inexpensive
One lb dry lentils, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 3 chopped carrots, one chopped onion, 1/4 cup canola oil, and 2 tsp Thyme all added to 6 cups of boiling vegetable broth. Simmer for 25 minutes, and that’s it!
Corn blini by Judy
• 1/2 cup unbleached flour
• 1/2 cup cornmeal
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 1 cup corn kernels, from about 2 ears corn, or frozen
• 1 flax “egg” (in small pan mix 1T. ground flax with ¼ c water. Simmer 30 sec. Set aside.)
• 1 cup plain almond or soy yogurt, plus a few tablespoons non-dairy “milk” if necessary (If your yogurt is sweetened, leave out the sugar above.)
• Rinsed can (14.5 ozs) beans
• 5 tablespoons melted non-dairy butter
1.Put flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Grind 1 cup corn kernels to a rough purée in a food processor, then add “egg” and yogurt, and pulse to mix. Add corn mixture to flour mixture and stir together until just mixed to make a thick batter. Stir in 4 tablespoons melted butter. Stir in beans. Set aside for 5 minutes. Thin with a little “milk” if necessary. (Batter may be prepared several hours ahead.)
2. Put greased (use remaining melted “butter”) griddle or cast-iron pan over medium heat. Using 1 tablespoon batter, make pancakes about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes, until bubbles appear on surface and pancakes are lightly browned. Flip and cook for 30 seconds to a min. more. (Be sure to keep heat moderate or else the pancakes will blacken.) Pancakes may be cooked in advance and reheated.
3. Can top with some chopped tomato and sweet onion, or salsa or vegan sour cream, or a little more cooked corn, as desired.
Makes about 30 blini
1/4 cup coconut oil
1.5 cups cane sugar
2 tablespoons *Mila with 7 Tablespoons H2O (Mix and set aside for 10 mins (Egg substitute)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pinch of ginger
1 cup peanut butter OR 1 cup almond butter* used organic peanut butter
3 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
6 oz chocolate chips*Used Enjoy Life Soy, dairy, and nut free, Certified vegan
1/2 cup chopped pecans OR ½ cup sliced almonds* used Almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream together the butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy.
3. Add the egg substitute, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Mix. Add peanut butter and mix.
4. Add the oats, chocolate chips and pecans. Mix slowly until combined.
5. Scoop about a teaspoon of dough onto a greased or parchment-covered cookie sheet.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly brown at edges. Remove and let cool on wire rack.
* Mila is a high quality blend of Chia seed that are micro sliced, regular chia can be ground with a ration of 1T chia to 6 T water
2 cups lentil sprouts
(1/2 cup green lentils, 1/4 WHOLE red lentils, 1/8 cup each french and black lentils soak in clean water overnight, rinse and drain, then rinse and drain morning and night for 3 to 5 days. Jar should rest on 45 degree angle between rinses allowing water to drain from bottom of screen and air to circulate through the top)
1 carrot diced
1 red pepper diced
2 stalks of celery
2 slices of red onion
1/4 cup raisins
2 TBSP oil ( olive or coconut)
1/2 cup fresh grapefruit or orange juice
This is a basic recipe for sprout salad. Sprout salad is very versatile, play with the ingredients and come up with your own variations. Enjoy!
1/2 head cauliflower
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1 cup carrot
1 cup cucumber
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2 green onions
2 tbsp parsley
1 tsbp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Grate cauliflower. Place in a bowl, and microwave for 45 seconds on high.
Rinse all vegetables, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
Add chopped vegetables to grated cauliflower.
Add in parsley, and stir.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and squeeze the juice of 1 lime over salad.
Toss to mix and serve.