Corn blini by Judy
• 1/2 cup unbleached flour
• 1/2 cup cornmeal
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 1 cup corn kernels, from about 2 ears corn, or frozen
• 1 flax “egg” (in small pan mix 1T. ground flax with ¼ c water. Simmer 30 sec. Set aside.)
• 1 cup plain almond or soy yogurt, plus a few tablespoons non-dairy “milk” if necessary (If your yogurt is sweetened, leave out the sugar above.)
• Rinsed can (14.5 ozs) beans
• 5 tablespoons melted non-dairy butter
1.Put flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Grind 1 cup corn kernels to a rough purée in a food processor, then add “egg” and yogurt, and pulse to mix. Add corn mixture to flour mixture and stir together until just mixed to make a thick batter. Stir in 4 tablespoons melted butter. Stir in beans. Set aside for 5 minutes. Thin with a little “milk” if necessary. (Batter may be prepared several hours ahead.)
2. Put greased (use remaining melted “butter”) griddle or cast-iron pan over medium heat. Using 1 tablespoon batter, make pancakes about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes, until bubbles appear on surface and pancakes are lightly browned. Flip and cook for 30 seconds to a min. more. (Be sure to keep heat moderate or else the pancakes will blacken.) Pancakes may be cooked in advance and reheated.
3. Can top with some chopped tomato and sweet onion, or salsa or vegan sour cream, or a little more cooked corn, as desired.
Makes about 30 blini